Preferred location: Halifax, NS
Reports to: Science Director
Expected start date: June 14, 2021
Oceana Canada was established as an independent charity in 2015 and is part of the largest international advocacy group dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Oceana Canada believes that Canada has a national and global obligation to manage our natural resources responsibly and help ensure a sustainable source of protein for the world’s growing population.
Oceana Canada works with civil society, academics, fishers, Indigenous Peoples and the federal government to return Canada’s formerly vibrant oceans to health and abundance. By restoring Canada’s oceans, we can strengthen our communities, reap greater economic and nutritional benefits, and protect our future.
The Analyst will provide research and analytical support for our fisheries, habitat and North Atlantic Right Whale campaigns.
Principal duties and responsibilities
• Synthesize, summarize and clearly articulate information through literature searches, government reports, management plans and other sources that will be used to support our campaigns.
• Provide GIS spatial analysis and map production in support of our campaigns.
• Participate in external fisheries and oceans science and management meetings.
• Provide additional research support for campaign objectives as required.
• Keep up to date on best practices, scientific methodologies and innovations concerning the conservation and sustainable management of the ocean.
• Graduate degree in a relevant Science discipline with work experience in fisheries science, conservation or marine biology.
• Strong knowledge of Canadian fisheries and oceans science and management.
• Excellent writing, editing, communication, research and statistical skills.
• Ability to interpret, build and analyze large datasets.
• Proficiency in ArcGIS.
• Organized working style with attention to detail.
• Maintain strict confidentiality while working with sensitive information, and possess excellent judgment in handling communications, expenses, personal relationships and representing Oceana Canada in a professional manner.
• Fluency in French will be considered an asset.
• The successful candidate must be available for full-time work in Canada.
Oceana Canada offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Oceana Canada is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with Nova Scotia Accessibility Act, support will be provided in the recruitment process and accommodations for disabilities will be provided on request wherever appropriate. All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a criminal background check. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.
TO APPLY: Please apply at the link below by 3:00 p.m. EDT on May 14, 2021 for the best consideration. Please include your salary expectations in the cover letter. https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=c636b4b1-9b8d-4e27-a0d2-6cdea1e0fdc6&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=409978&source=CC2&lang=en_US